Well here we are, another election year, and another batch of states results lingered until days after the votes have been cast. This time around, however, the states in question, weighed heavily in the outcome.
When this happens, it leads to the biggest issue of all – far bigger than who actually wins:
People start to distrust the elections
Our country was built our every-citizen’s-vote-counts democracy. It is the glue that holds our union together.
Regardless of who wins…
The belief that the results are accurate, is far more important. Once that erodes, doubt ensues, and cracks emerge in our democracy – and that is happening now.
If people think the election is being stolen, they question whether our democracy is real.
And many may consider taking matters into their own hands.
Protests resulting from presidential elections have been rare in this country, no matter how hotly contested the race – until NOW.
This MUST be fixed – and fixed immediately.
There is simply no excuse for anyone to doubt our election results again.
Today, I implore the leaders of this country to FIX the election process, once and for all.
- ALL ballots – Mail-in, overseas, provisional, etc. need to arrive by election day. There’s no excuse for this not happening. People can plan ahead and mail them in with enough time for them to arrive by Election Day. To make it even easier for poll workers, an early voting postmark deadline, such as 3 or 4 weeks before the election, could be mandated.
- All States should start counting mail in ballots prior to election day. This is what Ohio does, and Florida, and a ton of other states that were not in the spotlight after Election Day. This should be universal.
- Every state should get its act together and complete the counting of all ballots on Election Day. Its not unreasonable to expect the counting of ballots to be completed within a few hours of the polls closing. Many states already accomplish this without issue.
- No dead people can vote (Yes, I'm talking to you, Chicago). Each state should have its voter rolls updated prior to elections, and the verification process should ensure that people who vote, are who they say they are.
- Committing voter fraud, hacking the system, etc, should be an impossibility. A study uncovered a startling fact: a number of voting machines were connected to the internet leaving the opportunity open for fraud.
- Voters should have 100% confidence that votes are being counted correctly, and that fraud is not present. In 2020, poll watchers are permitted to have access to ensure a fair election. However, issues arose and some poll watchers have claimed they were denied access. to the counting of ballots. The Pandemic was a factor – the 6 feet rule made this more challenging…but it shouldn't have. In this, the 21st century, cameras are everywhere, for crying out loud. There's no excuse to not have the process be recorded so all sides can see the proof with their own eyes (cameras would not be on people while they are voting, of course).
The biggest obstacle to making the above a reality
Here's the rub: each state has the authority to set its own rules about elections.
Some allow mail-in votes to be counted ahead of the election, some require they be counted on Election Day.
Some vary on how electoral votes are earned. Two states – Maine and Nebraska – award one electoral vote each to a single precinct.
The voting machines, write in process, etc can all differ from state to state, and sometimes even precinct to precinct.
I'm certainly not advocating a loss of states' rights….'
But a leader would be able to bring the powers that be in the states, to set standards of operations that would benefit the nation as a whole, and solve some of the big issues we currently face with our election process.
In my opinion, it is vitally important that this happens.
Time will tell whether or not we have leaders in office who will take up the challenge of fixing this mess.